Reports, reviews and strategies
A collection of food security related reports from various organisations.
Workshop report: Nexus thinking for food security research (PDF 3.45MB)
In June 2014, the GFS Programme held a workshop to clarify and stimulate nexus thinking, identify interdisciplinary research priorities, and foster cross-sector collaboration.
Food waste within global food systems - September 2013 (PDF 2.06MB)
Understanding the issues surrounding food waste in developing and developed countries, with a particular focus on understanding where new approaches and new research may be instrumental in reducing waste
- Global Food Systems and UK Food Imports:
Resilience, Safety and Security - March 2013 (PDF 523KB)
Discussions from the ESRC Public Policy Seminar, 30 March 2012
- Food Research Partnership: Severe weather and UK food chain resilience - October 2012 (PDF 874KB)
Report appendix exploring the impact of severe weather on the resilience of the UK food chain. Produced by a subgroup of the Food Research Partnership for the UK's Government Office for Science
- Green Food Project conclusions - July 2012 (external, PDF)
Representatives from a wide range of UK sectors participated in the Green Food Project to examine the objectives of increasing food production and improving the environment in England
- Global Food Security Programme - Exploring public views (PDF 1.14MB)
A study aimed to help to characterise and identify issues that could warrant a deeper dialogue with a larger group of the public
- Global Food Security Programme - A survey of public attitudes (PDF 1.22MB)
Only around one in ten respondents had heard of the term ’global food security‘. See more results here
- Global Food and Farming Futures - January 2011 (external)
This Foresight project looked at how people can be fed healthily and sustainably with a future global population of 9Bn
- Food Research and Innovation Strategy - January 2010 (external, PDF)
An overarching framework across the UK Government and Devolved Administrations that sets out current and future programmes and highlights some past successes
- Setting the table: Advice to Government on priority elements of sustainable diets - December 2009 (external PDF)
The Sustainable Development Commission is the Government's independent adviser on sustainable development and this report is focused on a potentially sustainable diet (from a UK perspective)
- Reaping the benefits: Science and the sustainable intensification of global agriculture - October 2009 (external)
A report published by The Royal Socety looking into the contribution of the biological sciences to food crop production
- Recipe For Success - Scotland's National Food and Drink Policy - June 2009 (external)
Sets out the next steps for the policy
A collection of food security related reviews from various organisations.
Key findings from the mid-term review of the Global Food Security Programme (PDF 260KB)
In spring 2014, a light-touch Mid-Term Review of the Global Food Security Programme (GFS) was conducted, based upon 162 responses to a stakeholder questionnaire.
Global Food Security Insight: The importance of soils for ensuring food security - September 2013 (PDF 7.11MB)
Soils are vital for the production of crops and fodder. In the UK, total income from soil is worth £5.3Bn, but if soils become degraded, crop yields may decline
- Global Food Security Insight: Severe weather and UK
food resilience - January 2014 (PDF 1.5MB)
Severe weather events are high impact, unusual or unseasonal changes in weather patterns, which include heavy precipitation, droughts, heat-waves, floods and storms
A collection of food security related strategies from various organisations.
- Global Food Security Programme Strategic Plan 2011-2016 (PDF 2.7MB) (updated November 2013)
Includes information about the programme, context, research themes and priorities
- UK Research and Innovation Strategy for Campylobacter - in the food chain 2010-2015 - July 2010 (external, PDF)